When something isn’t working on your website, it is easy to get caught up in a fit of rage and send off a very bland email literally writing “My website isn’t working. Please Fix.”
While this will get attention, it won’t get your website fixed very fast.
Not that we don’t want to help you, we just won’t be able to do much with the information provided.
If you want to get the best and quickest resolution along with a very happy developer/designer, please follow these few steps:
1. Check that you can re-create the issue
If a user has reported an issue, you may just find that they have done something wrong. Eg: They may have entered in the wrong password or other details incorrectly.
2. Describe what is wrong.
For example, if something on your website isn’t working correctly, tell us what that ‘thing’ is and where we can find it on your website.
3. Provide further information.
Some very common examples are:
- If you can’t load your website at all, we will probably need your IP address as it could mean that our firewall is preventing you from viewing the website.
- If you are having problems relating to a particular page, please include the link to that page.
- If you are getting an error message on your screen or foreign and unidentifiable characters on your screen, please copy this information into your email or simply take a screenshot.
- If the issue only occurs sometimes, we will need every step/click that you take to re-create the issue.
4. Include some extra information if it is a display issue.
Very often when you have a display issue on your computer it is directly related to the computer/browser you are using.
If you follow these very few simple steps, you will have a very happy developer who will be able to help resolve the issue very quickly.